Mother Suffering From Toxic Shock Syndrome Caused By a TAMPON Wakes From a Coma Unable To Remember Her Son

In August 2011, Deborah Usher started encountering sudden influenza side effects… Or so she thought. Her condition declined throughout the following few days to the point where she couldn’t walk or talk normally.

Things got so bad for the terrified mother-of-one that she was hurried to the hospital. Doctors place Deborah into an incited extreme lethargies, setting her up family for the most exceedingly awful.

After one week, Deborah finally awoke from the coma, however with no memory of anything that had happened. Rather, she woke up with a rare but potentially fatal condition that assumed control over her life totally, and worst of all, wiped her memory clean. Gone were such a variety of valuable recollections of her young child.

It’s taken five years for Deborah’s memory to bit by bit return.

Now, Deborah’s story serves as a powerful warning to women everywhere.

PIC FROM CATERS NEWS - (PICTURED: Deborah now) - A brave mum who almost died after a TAMPON wiped her memory is hoping to remember her first family Christmas. Deborah Usher, 27, from Porthmadog, Wales, was in a coma for a week in 2011 after suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome a rare condition caused by a tampon which left her fighting for her life. The mum-of-one woke a week later with severe memory loss meaning she now forgets events just weeks after they happen, including CHRISTMAS - and has no memory of enjoying festive celebrations with her little boy, Joshua, eight. Deborahs memory is finally getting better after she remembered her sons birthday for the first time this year, and now shes hoping to remember Christmas too. SEE CATERS COPY.

This is Deborah Usher.

Back in 2011, Deborah was 27 years old. She was a happy, healthy mother-of-one, and hotel manager from Porthmadog, Wales.

PIC FROM CATERS NEWS - (PICTURED: Deborah and Joshua) - A brave mum who almost died after a TAMPON wiped her memory is hoping to remember her first family Christmas. Deborah Usher, 27, from Porthmadog, Wales, was in a coma for a week in 2011 after suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome a rare condition caused by a tampon which left her fighting for her life. The mum-of-one woke a week later with severe memory loss meaning she now forgets events just weeks after they happen, including CHRISTMAS - and has no memory of enjoying festive celebrations with her little boy, Joshua, eight. Deborahs memory is finally getting better after she remembered her sons birthday for the first time this year, and now shes hoping to remember Christmas too. SEE CATERS COPY.

But in August 2011, Deborah came down with what she thought was the flu. Within a few days, however, the symptoms worsened and she was rushed to intensive care.

Deborah was terrified, as she was suddenly unable to properly talk or walk.

3

Doctors realized Deborah had developed toxic shock syndrome from using super-plus strength tampons throughout her period.

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but serious condition caused when the bacterium “staphylococcus aureus” gets into one’s bloodstream.

TSS has been most commonly linked to super-absorbent tampon use in menstruating women, though anyone can contract it.

PIC FROM CATERS NEWS - (PICTURED: Deborah in intensive care) - A brave mum who almost died after a TAMPON wiped her memory is hoping to remember her first family Christmas. Deborah Usher, 27, from Porthmadog, Wales, was in a coma for a week in 2011 after suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome a rare condition caused by a tampon which left her fighting for her life. The mum-of-one woke a week later with severe memory loss meaning she now forgets events just weeks after they happen, including CHRISTMAS - and has no memory of enjoying festive celebrations with her little boy, Joshua, eight. Deborahs memory is finally getting better after she remembered her sons birthday for the first time this year, and now shes hoping to remember Christmas too. SEE CATERS COPY.

Doctors put Deborah into a medically induced coma. They tried twice to wake her, but to no avail.

Her family was prepared for the worst as Deborah was placed on life support.

PIC FROM CATERS NEWS - (PICTURED: ) - A brave mum who almost died after a TAMPON wiped her memory is hoping to remember her first family Christmas. Deborah Usher, 27, from Porthmadog, Wales, was in a coma for a week in 2011 after suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome a rare condition caused by a tampon which left her fighting for her life. The mum-of-one woke a week later with severe memory loss meaning she now forgets events just weeks after they happen, including CHRISTMAS - and has no memory of enjoying festive celebrations with her little boy, Joshua, eight. Deborahs memory is finally getting better after she remembered her sons birthday for the first time this year, and now shes hoping to remember Christmas too. SEE CATERS COPY.

One week later, Deborah finally woke from the coma — but she could no longer feed herself, change her clothes, or function properly. Her hair also began to fall out.

It took her two months to relearn how to walk. She suffered from severe memory loss and began forgetting events just weeks after they happened.

The most heartbreaking event she forgot was Christmas, which was her and her son’s most beloved holiday. Even after four years passed, Deborah has struggled to put her Christmas memories back together — memories like opening presents and celebrating with her son are all but forgotten, and even family photos couldn’t bring them back.

6

“TSS has completely taken over my life,” Deborah said. “It’s like having a permanent hangover every day where you have memory blanks and your head feels funny.”

PIC FROM CATERS NEWS - (PICTURED: Deborah and Joshua) - A brave mum who almost died after a TAMPON wiped her memory is hoping to remember her first family Christmas. Deborah Usher, 27, from Porthmadog, Wales, was in a coma for a week in 2011 after suffering from Toxic Shock Syndrome a rare condition caused by a tampon which left her fighting for her life. The mum-of-one woke a week later with severe memory loss meaning she now forgets events just weeks after they happen, including CHRISTMAS - and has no memory of enjoying festive celebrations with her little boy, Joshua, eight. Deborahs memory is finally getting better after she remembered her sons birthday for the first time this year, and now shes hoping to remember Christmas too. SEE CATERS COPY.

Now, Deborah’s memory is finally improving. For the first time in a long time, she remembered her son’s birthday.

Now, she’s hoping to remember Christmas.

“I was determined to get better for Joshua, he’s my world and he needed his mummy back.”

Deborah has vowed to never use tampons again.

According to the McKinley Health Center in Illinois, you can reduce the risk of TSS by alternating your tampon or internally worn products with pads. Use a tampon with the minimum absorbency needed to control your flow. Review the information on absorbency of your tampon brand. Change the tampon or internally worn product as directed. If you have ever been diagnosed with TSS, you should not use tampons.

Please SHARE Deborah’s harrowing story with your friends on Facebook, and help us spread awareness about this potentially fatal condition.

Add Comment

comments